General Information Internships CEEE-I You can find comprehensive information, including rules and regulations, in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science Calendar. It is the ultimate resource for academia-related questions, so please read it! The ECE Undergraduate Office does not handle Admission work. All Admissions information can be addressed through Queen’s Undergraduate Admissions Office. All information on Graduate Studies in ECE can be found on the graduate section of the ECE website. If you have any questions, you can e-mail them to the graduate program assistant Ms. Debie Fraser Faculty contacts are located on our website under Faculty and Staff. Your instructor can provide you with the contact information for your TAs. Professional internships are recognized on the diplomas, streams of specialization are not. Undergraduate degree options are Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Applied Science with Professional Internship. The Teaching Assistants application process begins in mid-August. All 3rd and 4th year students who have taken the course in the past 2 years and have received a grade 90% and above will be invited to apply.

By August students are expected to know their course schedule and can determine their availability to work as teaching assistants. The TA position involves helping out with the ELEC courses labs and APSC 143, APSC 112 or APSC 114 labs. The schedule of the labs and hours will be provided.
Yes. You can see the available courses and find information on online learning in the Arts and Science Online Calendar. APSC 100, APSC 112, APSC 143, APSC 171, APSC 172 and APSC 174 are pre-requisites to the ECE Programs. If you failed one or more of these courses you will be on probation in your second year and must complete the course(s) in second year or you will be required to withdraw. You will be denied access to core courses in the ECE Programs that have the failed course as a pre-requisite, and you may choose to add alternate courses, often Complementary Studies Courses, up to the maximum permitted by your probation letter. You must complete all requirements of your probation letter.

If the course is not a pre-requisite course (APSC 131, 132, 151, 161, 181 etc.), you may not need to take it immediately, although it must be re-taken and passed at some point in order to satisfy your program requirements. Sometimes course scheduling can be a challenge when students register in core courses from different years, and as a result it may be necessary to leave the course until your fourth year where there is typically more flexibility in the schedule. You are encouraged to make-up courses from previous years as soon as possible, even when they are not pre-requisites.

Note that as an upper year student you will no longer be able to register in first year courses on SOLUS. At the start of the term you will need to take your completed upper year course schedule to the Faculty Office, Rm. 300, Beamish Munro Hall with your CRRF (Course Registration Request Form). The administrative staff there will help you find time slots for the first year courses that do not conflict with your upper year courses. Check SOLUS to ensure the course(s) requested have been added correctly to your schedule.
As soon as you see that you have failed a course, consider the possibility of a supplemental exam to replace your final exam mark.

All required courses for your program and option, as well as the EPT (English Proficiency Test) for non-residents, must be completed before you can graduate. When taking a non-typical course load, plan carefully to complete your degree without too much delay by paying close attention to chains of prerequisites. Failed courses often mean you will need an additional term or an additional academic year.

If you failed a course that is a pre-requisite to a required course, or an elective, you will need to pass that course before moving on. If you failed a technical elective course or a complementary studies course, you may take a different course to replace the credits required by the program. However, if you repeat the same course and pass, the failed mark will not be included in your GPA.
SOLUS will not allow you to put yourself in conflict. You might be able to select courses with conflicts provided that instructors of the courses permit it (by signing an online form). It would depend on the nature of the conflict. Course conflicts are generally not encouraged and may be refused if a student has been required to withdraw or is on probation. Student Academic Advising on SOLUS can sometimes produce glitches. Errors can occur in course names or course substitutions and transfers. If you notice errors that you are worried about, send a message to the UG Program advisor Irina Pavich You may only post code that you yourself have written. If you have worked with others on the code then you must receive their permission to post it. Note that you cannot post course material that has been given to you by a professor. For example, if you are posting code that you wrote in response to an assignment question from a professor, then you cannot post the professor’s question.

You also cannot post solutions to assignments that have yet to be marked, as this constitutes a departure from academic integrity and may be subject to disciplinary action at Queen’s.
All graduate courses must be registered on paper using an Academic Change Form (PDF) and approved by the course instructor. Send the approved signed form to your undergraduate program assistant. Next, the request needs to be reviewed by the ECE Graduate Chair.

If registration approved, the student submits a course substitution request to count the grad course towards a 4th year technical elective (if there is a plan to apply the credit towards BASC degree).
Download a faculty-specific registration form from the Career Services website, complete and sign the student portion of the registration form;

Ensure you are eligible - minimum GPA of 1.9 and returning to Queen’s to complete your degree requirements after the internship (this will also be verified by your department;

Email the form to the Undergraduate Programs Assistant Irina Pavich to request the ECE Undergraduate Chair’s approval and signature;

Return the signed form to and the QUIP team will contact you with instructions of how to pay the $35 registration fee online
As an Engineering and Applied Science student, you will enroll in courses APSC 301, 302, 303 and 304 - Professional Internship. Professional Internship is recognized as experiential learning and APSC 303 replaces one elective course in your program at 3.5 credits. See your program degree planning spreadsheet for details.

You are required to complete a work term report or seminar for evaluation at the end of your placement as well as successful employer evaluations after four, eight and twelve months. Your diploma will read: Bachelor of Applied Science, with Professional Internship.
APSC 302 and APSC 303 carry tuition fee of 3.0 units per course and the tuition for them is due September 1st. Students are not required to take additional courses while on internship. It is recommended that you fully dedicate yourselves to the experience and be free to take advantage of learning opportunities as they arise. As a QUIP intern, you have a responsibility to your employer and to yourself to make the most of your time on the job. By committing to extra academic obligations, you run the risk of impacting both your work and academic performance.

That said, some students may thrive while taking a course during their internship and you are permitted to do so within these parameters:

While on internship, you may enroll in one additional course per term, provided it is fully asynchronous and free of activities that are subject to space-time limitations such as mandatory lectures, group work and exams that could be scheduled during the workday. This policy is designed to minimize conflicts with employers, instructors and other students.
Visit the CEEE-I Frequently Asked Questions page.

For students already in the ECE program (i.e., years 2 and above). Students are asked to submit an academic change form request to the Department and then when all the requests are in, the Faculty determines if there are available space in the CEEE-I stream to accommodate students who wish to change from ECE to CEEE-I. Since CEEE-I is a direct entry program with limited spots (50 spots), students cannot just automatically change from the ECE to CEEE-I program.

For students in first year engineering but not yet in our ECE program. Since CEEE-I is not one of the options offered to general engineering, when students make their discipline choice, they would have had to choose ELEC or CMPE program. The next step is to fill out an academic program change form and request to switch into Innovation from Regular Stream ECE. Every year a certain number of CEEE-I students choose to drop into the regular ECE program and then that’s what leaves room for students wanting to move into the CEEE-I stream.

For students accepted into engineering but not Direct Entry ECE (CEEE-I). This is handled centrally by the Queen’s Undergraduate Admissions Office. The ECE department is not involved in admission process. If applicants decide well before the OUAC deadline of June 1 that they want to change their choices, they can do it centrally through the OUAC system. They may also contact Queen’s admissions for more information.